The purpose of peepthis is to:
- provide useful, community-oriented tools for those who are always looking for new art and entertainment to enjoy (no matter how strange or obscure)
- provide an honest and transparent social platform that always respects its users and that is free from corporate meddling
Why use peepthis when existing streaming and content delivery services already provide recommendations?
Because these services:
- have a financial interest in coralling you towards media that is the most profitable (e.g. watered-down content, their original content, content that is cheap to license) rather than the media that you're most likely to enjoy
- have gaps in their libraries for media that they can't or don't want to license
- actively discourage honest critique and discussion that may hurt profitability
- recommend the same obvious titles over and over and hide unique titles which aren't compatible with their mysterious algorithms
peepthis is a passion project and there is no desire to compromise it by:
- attempting to become the next big fatally ambitious startup funded by an investor pyramid scheme
- ‘driving user engagement’ on behalf of sleazy corporate sponsorships
- selling user data wholesale to the highest bidding shadowy data analytics firm
- plastering ugly and intrusive ads and trackers everywhere
We maintain our own database and we don't rely on third party services so that we won't need to compromise on our mission.
While we may not have a comprehensive list of titles, we strive for quality over quantity in our recommendations and discussion.
If you'd like to help out, then take a few minutes to search your favorite title and write a review, post a discussion, or add it to the database if it's missing.
This web app was built with Vue and Django. For more info on how the app was developed, or if you are interested in supporting development, then reach out on the Discord server.